Wednesday, May 8, 2013

An Idea Person

Lately, I have been listening to the Simple Mom Podcasts and one called From a Land Down Under  Tsh was speaking with Darren Rowse of ProBlogger. He said something that really stuck with me. "I just love coming up with ideas. If I could get paid just to come up with ideas, I'd be a millionaire."

My first thought was 'oh me too!" and I realized that is what it means to "be an idea person" and in fact I am an idea person. I literally have so many ideas I don't know what to do with them. After hearing these words of wisdom, my husband and I had a good conversation about how sometimes I get frustrated that I don't follow through with my ideas. When my interest in an idea slows, I get bored and jump to the next one.

This made me think of a past post from Haley at The Tiny Twig. When she finished her eBook The No Brainer Blog, she posted about how it was a challenge for her to finish the project when it started losing momentum. I am totally the same way, the finishing part of a project is definitely the hardest part for me.

This realization that I'm an idea person made me see that I'm not a lazy or a failure because I haven't finished all these ideas/projects (which is how I sometimes feel). I simply have more ideas than I can possibly pursue. What I need is an idea filter. Not all of my ideas are not good so I don't need to waste my time working on the not-so-great ones. Filtering out the bad ideas would leave more time for actually completing the very best ones. The husband suggested I write out a mega list of ideas so I can work on the best ones and cross them off as I go. He is brilliant. I love him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment