Thursday, February 20, 2014

Why I Haven't Painted a Single Wall

For as long as I can remember I've wanted my own house so I could paint the walls any color I choose. Now that I am an adult, my husband and I have lived in our own house for the past year and a half and I haven't painted anything at all. This got me thinking, what's wrong with me?


This is a wall in my kitchen with two paint samples that have been there since before Christmas. Out of these two choices, my favorite is the one one the left. The reason I have yet to paint a single wall is because I'm afraid I'm going to pick the wrong paint color. I have never chosen a paint color anything ever. I want to paint the kitchen first because the faux stucco paint treatment is just not my style. I would really like something cooler to balance all the oak we have going on in there. 


Sorry, this is an old picture from before we moved in, but the lighting is pretty good. Anyway, with the counter-top, I think a gray would look nice on the walls. I know people would instantly want to paint the cabinets but I'm struggling enough with the walls that I can't even start on the cabinets. I've decided to work with them for now. As always, Pinterest is full of inspiration and I stumbled across two kitchens where I love the look of gray walls and oak cabinets here and here

Besides color, our walls will take a little more prep than normal. There is a lot of roller fuzz stuck to the walls from when they were painted previously and the perfectionist in me want to sand them down and make everything nice and smooth before we paint while the impatient part of me wants to get paint up there as fast as I can and call it a day. Alas, I think the perfectionist in me will win this one. If I spent the time and money just to paint it without sanding anything, I would be so frustrated with myself when I finally decide to go back and sand, prime and paint again when it should have been done right the first time. 

So that's why I haven't painted any walls in my house at all yet. At least I have time to pick a color since I have all that prep work in front of me first.

1 comment:

  1. I love the color on the left!! And you wont regret doing it the right way even if it takes more time. There are numerous projects we jumped into SO QUICKLY that I wish I would have taken more time on and gotten them done right!

    ReplyDelete